Cucina’s service provides an Educational Food Service by linking the classroom and the kitchen.
Students can see dishes being freshly prepared such as home-made pizza being served fresh from our pizza oven, fresh bread made on the premises daily and a wide variety of freshly prepared main meals, salads, sandwiches, fruit pots and desserts as well as mouth watering homemade muesli bars, muffins and cakes.
For those on free school meals, Cucina are unique in offering any two items from the vast daily menu for their free school meal value regardless of price in recognition of the importance of meals at school.
Cucina’s philosophy centres on the premise that eating well is crucial to improving ability and behaviour, as well as academic and athletic success. Cucina makes meals fun and helps students to broaden their knowledge and appreciation of food.
What students see:
- The use of fresh, locally sourced ingredients
- Growing herbs and selected vegetables
- Linking theme days to the curriculum
- Taste trials for new dishes and unusual foods
- Fresh food prepared in our kitchens every single day
I am sure that you will have heard about the new food-based requirements for school lunches, introduced in September 2006, which have been developed by the Schools Food Trust. These requirements will be further enhanced to include nutrient based standards from September 2009. Cucina’s food offer already exceeds these and supports our aim of setting a new benchmark for food service in our area.
Did you know:
- All our eggs are free range
- 90% of our menu…or more…is home made
- 80% of our vegetables and fruit are sourced within the UK
- The majority of our meat is red tractor approved and sourced from Great Britain
- All our fish is farmed from sustainable stocks (MSC approved)
- All our coffee and chocolate is fair trade
Mail: Spectrum House, Dunstable Road, Redbourn, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 7PR.
Tel: 0845 389 1320