Core Mathematics is for everyone. It is diverse, engaging and essential in equipping students with the right skills to reach their future destinations, whatever that may be. This course will suit students who are also studying Psychology, Sciences and /or Geography.
Awarding Organisation: AQA
Reformed/Linear A-Level: Yes
More information: Mr W Trimby
GCSE Grade 4 or above in Mathematics, plus the standard Sixth Form entry requirements.
|Year 12 and 13|
You will follow either teaching route to explore:
Two written examinations at the end of the study period.
Where this leads
- Study a mathematics curriculum that is integrated with other areas of their study, work or interest leading to the application of mathematics in these areas.
- Develop mathematical modelling, evaluating and reasoning skills.
- Solve problems some of which will not be well defined and may not have a unique solution.
- Solve substantial and real life problems encountered by adults.
- Use ICT as an exploratory tool for developing mathematical understanding and when solving problems.
- Develop skills in the communication, selection, use and interpretation of their mathematics.
- Enjoy mathematics and develop confidence in using mathematics.
Post 18 Opportunities
Mathematical studies aims to prepare students for the mathematical demands of higher education and work where there is a distinct mathematical or statistical elements. The Level 3 Certificate qualification will be graded on a five-point scale: A, B, C, D and E with the following UCAS points 60, 50, 40, 30 and 20 respectively.
Students will be required to purchase textbooks and course materials.