The transfer from primary to secondary school is an exciting time in a student’s school career, but can also be an anxious time and we at Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre endeavour to make the process as smooth and stress free as possible.
Many events will take place between now and September, which will hopefully allay any anxieties, and help you and your child feel part of Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre right from the start.
Some of the process is outlined below. Further details and separate invitations will be sent to you as appropriate.
- Members of the Transition Team will be visiting your child’s primary school to talk with your child and his/her teacher.
- We will receive copies of your child’s National Curriculum results and end of year report. This will help staff prepare suitable work for your child.
- If your child has an EHCP, or it is felt he/she will find the transfer from primary to secondary difficult, you will be offered an opportunity to meet with staff at Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre during Term 5 or Term 6.
- Your child will bring home a Welcome Pack on intake day which will be distributed when we visit the primary schools in Term 6. If your child does not attend one of our feeder schools we will automatically send it to you in the post. If you do not receive one by the end of May please telephone the school on 0118 9015800.
- Students/parents do not need to indicate Language preferences for year 7 at this point. More information regarding languages within the year 7 curriculum will follow soon.
Intake Day at Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre
Your child is invited to spend an Intake Day at Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre on Thursday 29 June 2017 9am- 2.30pm.
Parents are reminded that there is no parking or driving onto the site, the students will need to be dropped off outside the gates where they will be met by Senior Leadership and Student Buddies.
Please return the reply slip on the letter that was sent out by Monday 8 May 2017 to Mrs Vidler, Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre.
Welcome Evening for New Intake Parents
You are also invited to a Welcome Evening for New Intake Parents on Wednesday 5 July 2017 from 6pm to 8pm, when you will learn more about what ‘life at Highdown’ will mean for you and your child. Please arrive at 5.45pm for a 6pm start. You will also meet with a senior member of staff and a mentor to discuss both your expectations of how Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre will best help your child and also our expectations of you as a parent of a student at Highdown. Should you not be able to attend, please contact Mrs Vidler, to arrange a separate appointment before your child is admitted to Highdown. Parking is very limited, please walk to Highdown if possible.
We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you and your child and I give you my personal guarantee that at Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre they will receive an excellent education.