Every May Year 7 apply to become Buddies to play an important role welcoming the new intake to Highdown School. Many schools use year 10 students as buddies, however, giving the responsibility at this younger age is a testament to the trust that we have in our students and gives them an early taste of responsibility and an opportunity to develop their skills.
A third of the year group come forward to offer their time freely to help others says a great deal about the positive ethos in the year group. The successful year 7 students were invited to attend ‘Buddy Training Day’ in May. As expected, all students showed a great attitude to their training and showed themselves to be excellent ambassadors for Highdown School. The new intake of students for next year should have a fantastic team of happy, helpful and motivated Buddies to assist them when they join Highdown School.
The role of a Highdown Buddy includes:
- Welcoming students to Transition Day
- Modelling uniform on Welcome Evening
- Meeting, greeting and supporting Parents, students and Mentors on Welcome Evening
- Welcoming and supporting students on Year 5 Day
- Helping the new intake find their classes in September
- Being a friendly face around the site
- Speaking about their experiences at Highdown on Open Mornings to prospective children and their parents.