Skip to content ↓
  • Font Size

  • Colour

Highdown School
and Sixth Form Centre

  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image
  • slideshow image


Music Technology AS and A Level offers a range of exciting opportunities to learn about sequencing, sampling, studio recording and production, composing, and the history of recorded music. 

There are three areas of study which underpin the course:

  1. Recording and production techniques for both corrective and creative purposes
  2. Principles of sound and audio technology
  3. The development of recording and production technology

Awarding Organisation:  Edexcel

Reformed / Linear A Level: Yes (also available as an AS)

More information: Mr H Santer


Entry Requirements

GCSE Grade 5+ in Music or Music Technology and 5+ in Mathematics, plus the standard Sixth Form entry requirements.


Curriculum and Assessment



As described above there are three areas of study which are then assessed over a series of four components:


Component 1: Recording
Students will develop skills in capturing, editing, and mixing sounds to produce an audio recording.
Component 2: Technology-based Composition
 Students develop skills in creating, editing and structuring sounds to develop a technology-based composition.
Component 3: Listening and Analysing
Students develop listening and analysing skills through the study of a range of production techniques.  These are then assessed in a listening exam which covers music from 1910 up to the current day.
Component 4: Producing and Analysing
Students study the techniques and principles of music technology through a series of written and practical tasks, in the context of audio and MIDI materials provided by Edexcel. 


Coursework is 40% of the course and takes the form of a multi-track recording, a technology based composition.  The remaining 60% of the course is assessed through a listening and analysing exam and practical producing and analysing exam.



Skills that will be developed

  • Understand the principles of sound and audio technology and how they are used in creative and professional practice
  • Understand a wide range of recording and production techniques
  • Develop the skills to create and manipulate sound in imaginative and creative ways
  • Develop skills in critical and analytical listening to evaluate the use of sound and audio technology in students’ own and others’ work
  • Understand the interdependence of sound engineering knowledge, understanding and skills
  • Understand the basic principles of acoustics, psycho-acoustics, and the digitalisation of sound
  • Understand the latest developments in music technology and the impact they have on technology-based
  • Composition, performance and the tonal qualities of recordings
  • Develop and extend the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to create recordings and technology-based
  • Compositions which communicate effectively to the listener


Post 18 Opportunities

Our students go on to study a wide range of music technology based courses which lead to careers in studio engineering,  live sound, sound design, sound technician, DJ-ing, stage and set design, PA operation and acoustic design.


Destination of students in the last two years:

  • BIMM Institute London – Music Production
  • York University – Music Technology Systems (Electronics)



Students need to purchase AS/A2 Edexcel Music Technology study guides.