The STAR Centre is a creative environment where students are able to talk about, express and understand their feelings through emotional literacy. We offer support groups, 1:1 mentoring, after schools clubs and various other community work. We also run Year 7 transition groups which are aimed at helping your child settle within their new school environment.
What are the main aims of STAR Centre?
- To develop students’ social and communication skills.
- To raise students’ self-esteem and confidence.
- To provide positive interactions for students.
- To provide a safe environment for students.
- To assist in developing positive and healthy relationships/attachments with peers and adults.
What is Emotional Literacy?
Emotional Literacy support focuses on developing the five following areas:-
- Self –Awareness
- Self-Regulation (managing emotions)
- Social Skills
Emotional literacy is aimed at improving self-esteem; this should lead to an improvement in educational attainment.